Valletta: move to the final of the U*Bet FA Trophy Published on: 17-05-2010

U*Bet FA Trophy
Monday 17th May, 2010 - 19:30hrs - National Stadium.
Semi Final
(aet; Valletta win 6-5 on penalties)

Valletta 6
  Hamrun S. 5
alt vs

Valletta F.C.

Hamrun S. F.C.

Andrew Hogg
Dylan Grima
Kenneth Scicluna
Michael Mifsud
Dyson Falzon (Cleavon Frendo)
Steve Borg
Kevin Sammut
Steve Bezzina
Terence Scerri
Roderick Briffa
Njongo Priso
Ivan Casha
Mark Anthony Bonnici
Rupert Mangion
Clyde Camoin
Roderick Fenech
Manolito Micallef
Marcelo Pereira (Mead Mifsud)
Gaetan Spiteri
Martin Hrubsa
Obinna Obiefule
Jonathan Holland


Paul Caruana

Yellow cards:
R. Briffa, S. Bezzina, D. Falzon,

Red card:
S. Bezzina

Valletta booked their place in the final of the U*Bet FA Trophy this evening after edging Hamrun Spartans 6-5 on penalties in a cagey encounter. Scoring chances were rare in a generally low-key first half. Valletta created their first scoring chance on 15 minutes when Dyson Falzon delivered a curling cross from the right and Terrence Scerri’s header was blocked by Ivan Casha, the Hamrun goalkeeper.
On 24 minutes, Scerri set off on a surging run through the middle before passing to Mifsud who skied his shot wide. The second half produced few scoring opportunities as the Spartans continued to make life difficult for the Citizens who thought they had received a boost when Hamrun right-back Mark Anthony Bonnici was sent off 16 minutes from time for two yellow cards.
Valletta’s possession count grew as the second half progressed but they only had wayward efforts by Dyson Falzon, Priso and Michael Mifsud to show for their efforts.
As the score remained locked on 0-0 at the end of the regular 90 minutes, the game drifted into extra-time. Numerical parity was restored on the stroke of half-time when Valletta’s left-back Steve Bezzina was also red-carded after collecting his second booking.
Penalties were needed to determine a winner and after the two teams expertly converted their first four penalties but the balance swung in favour of the Spartans when Andrew Hogg, the Valletta goalkeeper, blasted his shot high.
Hamrun were overjoyed but their delight was cut short when Hogg redeemed himself by saving Gaetan Spiteri’s kick. It was now a sudden-death affair and Valletta clinched the tie after Hogg blocked Ivan Casha’s central drive.

(Source - Times of Malta)