Europa League: 2nd round 1st leg Published on: 15-07-2010

Europa League - second round 1st leg
Thursday 15th July, 2010 - 17:00hrs - Centenary Stadium.

Valletta 1   KS Ruch Chorzow 1
alt vs

Valletta F.C.

KS Ruch Chorzow

Andrew Hogg
Omonigho Temile
Ian Zammit (Terence Scerri)
Gilbert Agius
Dyson Falzon (Kevin Sammut)
Steve Borg
Denni Rocha Dos Santos
Steve Bezzina (Jamie Pace)
Ramon Dos Santos
Roderick Briffa
Jonathan Caruana
Krzysztof Pilartz
Krzysztof Nykiel
Rafal Grodzicki
Maciej Sadlok
Ariel Jakubowksi
Gabor Straka (Marcin Hlinowski)
Nojciech Grzyb
Lukasz Janoszk
Michal Pulkowski
Marcin Zajac (Arkadiusz Piech)
Sebastian Olszar (Bartosz Flis)
18' Nojciech Grzyb (P)
76' Terence Scerri
Menashe Masiah (Israel)

{rokbox album=|new| thumbcount=|25|}images/downloads/Europa_League1/*{/rokbox}

Valletta came from a goal down to hold Polish side Ruch Chorzow to a one-all draw in the first leg of their Europa League second qualifying round match at the Centenary Stadium this evening.

An early goal by the visiting team left Valletta facing an uphill struggle but the Citizens rallied and put their opponents under incessant pressure which eventually led to Terrence Scerri's late equaliser. Andrew Hogg, the Valletta goalkeeper, made an early save to push away a dangerous shot from Ruch Chorzow's Marcin Zajac.

Brazilian forward Denni, one of four newcomers in Valletta's starting formation, opened up the Chorzow defence with a swerving run but his conclusive effort was blocked by Krzysztof Pilarz, the Ruch Chorzow goalkeeper.

Gilbert Agius then had a free-kick saved by Pilarz but Valletta's growing momentum was disrupted when the Polish side took the lead on 18 minutes. They were awarded a penalty after Steve Bezzina was ruled to have tripped Sebastian Olszar in the penalty area. Nojcieh Grzyb drilled his penalty shot past the diving Hogg. Valletta's reaction was not long in coming.

Omonigo Temile hit just wide after forcing his way through and Dyson Falzon fired over from the edge of the box as the home team pressed forward. Ian Zammit should have equalised for Valletta when Temile's cross from the right found him unmarked but the striker's header was central and weak.

Early in the second half, Olzar hit over for Ruch Chorzow. Valletta should have made it 1-1 when, 10 minutes into the second period, Zammit's cross from a corner was met by Roderick Briffa but his close-range header was fisted away by Pilzar. Jonathan Caruana, who was making his debut for Valletta, missed a great chance to equalise as he mishit his effort after receiving from substitute Terrence Scerri.

With 15 minutes left, the Citizens made it one-all, Scerri hitting past Pilzar after received an excellent pass from Denni. Valletta now pushed forward in search of a winner but survived a scare four minutes from time when Tukasz Janoszka centred for Arkadiusz Piech who miscued his effort.

The second leg is scheduled for today week.

(Source - Times of Malta)