Euro Cup: Valletta 0 Sliema W. 2 Published on: 25-06-2010

Euro Challenge Cup
Friday 25th June, 2010 - 18:15hrs - Centenary Stadium.

Valletta 0   Sliema W. 2
alt vs

Valletta F.C.

Sliema W. F.C.

Andrew Hogg
Ian Zammit (Omonigho Temile)
Justin Grioli
Hercules Cardoso Ottoni
Dyson Falzon (Terence Scerri)
Steve Borg
Kevin Sammut
Steve Bezzina
Ramon Dos Santos
Roderick Briffa
Edmond Agius (Cleavon Frendo)
Viktor Szentpeteri
Ian Azzopardi
Beppe Muscat
Sekou Tidiane Souare
Mark Scerri (Alex Muscat)
Jean Pierre Mifsud Triganza (Obinna Obiefule)
Andre Cabeta Portulez (Valdo Alhinho)
Emiliano Lattes
Clifford Gatt Baldacchino
Ivan Woods
John Mintoff


Clayton Pisani

Two second-half goals from substitutes Alhinho and Obiuefele guided Sliema to victory in the Euro Cup.

Both foreigners came off the substitutes’ bench at half-time and made an immediate impact as Sliema deservedly won the season’s curtain-raiser at the Centenary Stadium. Both players still on trial with the blues gave a good account of themselves with their goals demonstrating speed and strength.

If the first goal was primarily a demonstration of Alhinho’s technique, the second was all about Obiuefele’s brute strength.

Mark Marlow’s thoughts on Sliema’s first-half performance was reflected in his bold decision to make a double substitution at half-time when he replaced Jean Pierre Mifsud Triganza and Andre Purtulez with former Hamrun striker Obinna Obiuefele and Portuguese midfielders Valdo Alhinho.

And the introduction of Obiuefele almost paid instant dividends. The Valletta rearguard left the Nigerian player completely unmarked from a John Mintoff corner within two minutes of coming on, and he could hardly fail with a free header, yet the striker flicked his header wide.

But it was Alhinho’s substitution which was to prove more crucial. In the 51st minute, Alhinho capitalised on a fortunate deflection off his teammate Obiuefele to put the ball in off the right hand upright.

Seven minutes later, Obiuefele was the quicker to read the flight of Alhinho’s pass, who shrugged off Steve Borg’s marking and against all the odd remained on his feet after Ramon dos Santos tried to clear the danger. The Sliema striker then had the composure to curl the ball into the roof of the net.

(Source - Times of Malta)