Day 27: Valletta 2 Qormi 1 Published on: 29-04-2010

Premier League 2009/2010
Thursday 29th April, 2010 - 19:30hrs - National Stadium.
Championship Pool

alt Valletta 2
  Qormi 1
alt vs

Valletta F.C.

Qormi F.C.

Andrew Hogg
Kevin Sammut (Dylan Grima)
Kenneth Scicluna
Michael Mifsud
Dyson Falzon (Declan O'Brien)
Steve Borg
Gilbert Agius
Steve Bezzina
Roderick Briffa
Edmond Agius
Njongo Priso (Cleavon Frendo)
Matthew Farrugia
Jonathan Bondin
Ramon Dos Santos
Stephen Wellman
Duncan Pisani (Roderick Sammut)
Massimo Grima
Keith Fenech
Ryan Deguara (Kenneth Spiteri)
Matthew Bartolo
Josef Farrugia (Steve Meilak)
Alfred Effiong


23' Steve Bezzina (V)
43' Michael Mifsud (V)
83' Massimo Grima (Q)

Chris Lautier

Man of Match:
Michael Mifsud (V)

Yellow cards:
R. Briffa

Valletta had to fight hard to dismiss Qormi's challenge and keep their slim title hopes alive this evening.
First-half goals from Steve Bezzina and Michael Mifsud looked to have set Valletta on way to a comfortable win but Qormi rallied in the second half.
Massimo Grima's brilliant goal, from a free-kick, seven minutes from time lifted the spirits of the Qormi fans, as well as those of Birkirkara, but Valletta hung on to their lead to cut the gap on the Stripes to one point. Defeat for Valletta would have crowned Birkirkara champions but their victory means that the latter must win their game against Tarxien tomorrow (Friday) to secure the title.
The opening stages of this match were dull but Valletta enjoyed a clear edge over Qormi who were playing their first match since the club parted ways with coach Jesmond Zerafa. Valletta moved ahead midway into the first half. Dyson Falzon's corner from the right sailed towards the edge of the box where Doding Priso guided the ball towards the six-yard box and Steve Bezzina was on hand to head past Matthew Farrugia.
Qormi came close to making it one-all in their first significant foray into Valletta's half. Captain Joseph Farrugia made his way into the box but his grounder lacked the power to trouble Andrew Hogg. The Yellows paid dearly for this miss as Valletta increased their advantage two minutes from half-time.
Captain Gilbert Agius intercepted a pass in midfield before sending a perfect ball towards Mifsud who sped clear of the Qormi defenders before drilling a low shot past Farrugia. Qormi came more into the picture in the second half. Hogg did well to stop Matthew Bartolo's shot but the Valletta goalkeeper was beaten seven minutes from time by Grima's swerving free-kick.
Lifted by their goal, Qormi stormed forward but Valletta held firm to cling on to their slim lead.
Michael Mifsud, the Valletta striker, was named BOV player of the match.

(Source - Times of Malta)