Day 07: Valletta 4 Sliema W. 0 Published on: 05-11-2010

Citizens maintain unbeaten track

Valletta scored three second-half goals to coast to a 4-0 win over Sliema
Wanderers at the Victor Tedesco Stadium.
The final scoreline might hint at an easy outing for the Premier League leaders but Sliema put up a brave fight only to crumble after Valletta had doubled their lead from a contentious penalty midway into the second half.
Thanks to this victory, Valletta have opened a seven-point gap at the top of the table.
In the early stages, Sliema’s Jean Pierre Mifsud Triganza served Obinna Obiefule who made headway in the Valletta box but his final effort was wide.
After a passage of sloppy football, Valletta looked to have carved out an inviting opening when Denni supplied a through-ball to Terrence Scerri whose run was cut out by Josef Mifsud’s sliding tackle on
the edge of the box.
Valletta protested that Mifsud’s intervention was irregular but referee Alan Mario Sant waved play on. This came on 16 minutes.
The Citizens’ disappointment soon drifted away as their team took the lead after 18 minutes, Denni stroking the ball past Sliema goalkeeper Viktor Szentpeteri after being put through by an excellent
ball from Gilbert Agius.
Sliema’s reply produced a header by Obiefule that was pushed away for a corner by Andrew Hogg,
the Valletta goalkeeper.
As Valletta stuttered, Sliema raised their game. The Blues would have equalised on the half-hour but for a good save from Hogg who beat away Jackson Lima’s first-time effort after the Brazilian had received from Obiefule.

At the other end, Dyson Falzon hit wide after connecting with Roderick Briffa’s service.
In the final moments of the first half, John Mintoff made a diagonal run and Obiefule let his pass roll into the box. Valletta’s half clearance rolled to Jackson Lima whose grounder was stopped by Hogg.
Seven minutes into the second half, Denni retrieved possession in the Sliema box and set up Kevin Sammut but the latter’s was easily saved by Szentpeteri. Obiefule then fired wide for Sliema after Pace’s miscued backpass caused some anxiety in the Valletta defence.
Sammut then had a central shot saved by Szentpeteri but Valletta doubled their lead midway into
the second half. Their second goal was a controversial one as it came from a very debatable penalty
after referee Sant ruled that Sekou Tidiane Souare had fouled Scerri in the box when it looked as
though it was the Valletta striker who had pulled Sliema’s defender.
Scerri drove the resultant penalty past Szentpeteri to put Valletta 2-0 ahead.
Boosted by their two-goal cushion, Valletta made sure of the points with two goals in the final four minutes.
Gilbert Agius scored their third goal when he headed home Omonigo Temile’s cross and Edmond
Agius, who had just replaced the City captain, made it 4-0 with a low shot after receiving from Ian Zammit who earlier had a goalbound shot blocked by Sekou Tidiana Souare.
Valletta captain Gilbert Agius was voted BOV player of the match.

Source: Times of Malta

VALLETTA: A. Hogg, G. Agius (E. Agius), K. Sammut (I. Zammit), J. Caruana, I. Azzopardi, S. Borg, D. Falzon (O. Temile), J. Pace, D. Rocha Dos Santos, T. Scerri, R. Briffa.

SLIEMA W:: V. Szentpeteri, J. Mifsud, S. Souare, M. Scerri, J. Mifsud Triganza (M. Ciantar), C. Gatt Baldacchino, J. Lima Sequeira, O. Obiefule, R. Bajada (J. Paris), J. Mintoff, B. Muscat (S. Bezzina)

BOV Premier 2010/11
Date: 5-11-10     Time: 19:30    Venue: Victor Tedesco Stadium

Scorers: 19' D. Dos Santos, 68' T. Scerri, 86' G. Agius, 89' E. Agius

Yellow Cards: D. Dos Santos, R. Briffa

Man of match: G. Agius (Valletta)

Referee: Alan Mario Sant